Friday, February 24, 2012

I worked in a San Diego, CA restaurant for 6 years I never ever received a break until 2 years ago.?

Once the state of California really started cracking down on the labor laws, my employer told me it was my responsibility to take my break, if I didn't I would be written up and if it kept happening I could be fired. Working in the restaurant and bar industry it is hard to get a chance to sit down for a minute. Let alone getting a 1/2 hour to eat is almost unheard of. Once we were allowed an actual time to take the breaks required by California law I had to pay someone else to watch my section for me. Does this employer owe me anything? And if anyone is willing to put into laymans terms what are specifics for restaurants and this whole breaking system?I worked in a San Diego, CA restaurant for 6 years I never ever received a break until 2 years ago.?
Ask your employer to schedule a break then remind him when the time comes. If you don't get to take it, ask if you can clock out 30 minutes later as makeup.I worked in a San Diego, CA restaurant for 6 years I never ever received a break until 2 years ago.?
It really doesn't work for the restaurant industry. Are you going to tell your tables to sit there for fifteen minutes while you take your mandatory break? It just doesn't work. The only chance you have is if you're on a double and there's a slow time between.



I worked waiting tables for eight years. And while it was required by law that they give me 15 minutes every four hours worked and half an hour for work extending more than 6, I never once was given one. That's the life of a server. Just tell your boss that you took your break. Thanks. And get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment